Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Favourite thing about vet school

The blog post of the week, which I'm kind of late on, is your favourite thing about vet school.
I love vet school, which is weird to say because I know a lot of people hate it and, for them, vet school is just a stepping stone to their dream career. I love the long nights, the early mornings, the "Oh my god, what does this even mean?" I love all of it. It's kind of hard for me to pick one specific thing that I love the most. I love my rotations, because I love getting to practice my physical exam skills, see new things, and work on describing lesions and coming up with a list of differentials. I love PBL because I love comparing what I know to others to see if we can solve a problem. I love the extra opportunities I get, like closing that spay, helping with that necropsy, and observing the enucleation.
I guess what I love the most about vet school is that I'm finally surrounded by people that have similar interests and goals as me. It's still kind of odd to me -- I went to an undergrad with 60,000 students and our pre-vet club was very very small and out of those members, few go on to vet school. I never really had a class with anyone who wanted to be a veterinarian, although I met plenty of future doctors, pharmacists, dentists, and public health officials. So, it's nice to finally be in a location where there's hundreds of students that want to be a vet, that understand the toll it takes on us and how difficult the road is. It's really nice to be able to talk to someone about my classes, or what I want to do in the future without having to backtrack several steps and explain what I mean by an internship or board certified, or even having to explain that yes, veterinarians have specialties just like human physicians! It's so nice to be able to talk to someone about how seeing an overweight cat that's drinking a lot and is walking with a plantigrade stance is so obviously diabetes and not having to explain the how or why (although that's important to know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment