Sunday, May 19, 2013

Horse show days!

Been pretty busy lately, working a lot. I had five euthanasia cases at work last week which was pretty bad. I did get to see two necropsies though, which was a great learning experience. The first, a rabbit, had an abdominal mass (it was huge!) as well as ovarian cancer. I got to feel everything as well as see a bladder stone out of the body. I actually have the stone in my room. Kind of weird, but I think it's cool! I also got to learn to suture on the rabbit by closing it for the doctor. 
The second necropsy was a poor cat that had thoracocentesis done a couple of times and had almost 200 mL fluid removed over three days. The owners refused to admit anything was wrong and wouldn't take it to the emergency clinic because they had to go to a wedding, even after we told them we didn't have overnight staff. 
When we cut the cat open, the lungs were pretty much full of fluid and one of them was really dark purple. She had tumors on her lung and liver. 
I took the last three days off of work to horse show in Ocala with Nick, my jumper: 

and Wally, my two year old: 

Nick was great and won his first two classes and then I don't think I placed yesterday. Wally didn't do too hot in his hunter breeding but that's because he's small and awkward right now compared to the other two year olds. But, I did ride him for the first time away from the farm and he was great! We just walk/trotted because the footing where I rode him wasn't treat and he fell over while he was lunging because he tried to kick out. He hasn't quite figured out how to canter and kick out at the same time. 

Being a good baby!

Trotting around the ring like a big boy

I went and saw Paul McCartney last night and he was amazing! For a guy in his seventies, he put on a great show. I'm so glad I got to see him live, and mark that off of my bucket list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment