Thursday, May 9, 2013

First post!

Hey, to anyone reading this! I'm a recent UCF alum (University of Central Florida, for those of you outside of Florida), and I'll be attending the Western University of Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine (yeah, it's a mouthful) this fall. I'm so excited to start my vet school journey, and I can't wait for classes to start.
A little about me: I was born in Australia, but moved to America when I was seven. I started college full-time when I was sixteen, and graduated high school when I was eighteen. I'm nineteen now, and received my Bachelor's of Science in Biology just last Saturday.
This is me at my graduation, with my awesome parents!

As you can see by the stole, I was part of a Greek organization during my time at UCF. I was a member of Delta Epsilon Mu, a pre-health co-ed professional fraternity with multiple chapters across the US. I was a member of the Zeta chapter, meaning we were the fourth chapter to be founded, and I was a member of the Lambda class meaning I was a part of the ninth class to be initiated. I was the Executive Board Secretary for 2012-2013 and recently passed the reins down to an amazing member of the Xi class who will do great things! I have an amazing big, Amanda, getting ready to graduate in the summer -- she's interested in animal sciences too. My little, Demie, graduates in about a year and she's pre-vet. I recently became a grandbig too! My grandlittle is the cutest thing ever, and he's interested in going to PA school. DEM was definitely a source of a lot of motivation and a lot of help over the years, and I'm lucky to have them as my family.
I have four amazing horses, and have been lucky enough to qualify to travel to Saugerties, NY to compete in the HITS adult jumper finals. It's a long drive from Florida! I even managed to finish up third last year. Look, they mention me in a press release!
I'm in the process of training my two year old foal; he's out of my first horse. He can be a jerk sometimes, but that's probably because he's not gelded, plus he's just a baby! I've started riding him: walk, trot, canter, and we've even jumped a couple of poles. The baby stuff is all new to me, and I love it all.
This is me sitting on Wally for the first time, with my awesome trainer coaching us along!

I work part time at my local Banfield and really enjoy it! I know Banfields don't have the best reputation in the veterinary industry, but due to its nurse-run nature I've been able to learn a lot of skills I don't think I'd have adequately grasped at other hospitals.
This is going to be a blog chronicling my veterinary school experiences, and maybe even recounting the path I took to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment