Saturday, May 11, 2013

Loans

Been working a lot, and getting my errands done! I work every day, except for Tuesdays now, and I actually have to head in, in a couple of hours. 
Tomorrow is Mother's Day, so I just went and did the shopping I should have done before. I'll just have to pick up a couple more things on the way home from work and then I'm done! I've got to order birthday presents for my little and grandlittle next time I get paid too. 
There's been a lot of talk about Elizabeth Warren and student loans lately. I don't know enough about the Act to comment on it directly (I need to read into it more) but I do know that student loans are something looming on the horizon for me, and it's pretty scary. I'm planning on applying for the full amount ($40,500) from the Direct Stafford Loan and that won't even be enough to cover tuition. There's a huge bubble right now, as far as veterinary medicine goes. Tuition keeps on rising, and salaries are dropping. A lot of doctors are becoming GPs and going into private practice, so that market is pretty saturated. I'm lucky in the sense that I want to be an ACVS Diplomate, and the low salaries for internships and residencies will help me qualify for IBR or PAYE but it's becoming more of a reality that I may have to become a relief doctor or work in an ER a couple days a week for some extra money. 
Loans are becoming such a standard for students, whether it's undergrad, postgrad, or professional school. I was lucky enough to have my parents pay my way through undergrad, but vet school is all on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment