Thursday, August 28, 2014

Another week down

So, it's been three weeks now since school started and I'm definitely getting back into the swing of things. I've been talking to a couple people lately about my work load compared to undergrad and had an interesting realization of just how different it was. I was talking to Taylor and he said how he didn't have any homework for the day and it kind of hit me how, well, neither did I but I still had work to do. I rarely have homework, per se, but there's always something that can be done. There's always some other topic I could hit on or something I could learn. I'm never done.
This week we learned all about the equine forelimb, passive stay apparatus, osteochondrosis, bone healing, and I got to spend some extra time with some guys that resemble horses internally! I had my VACS rotation today with an organization called Bunny Bunch. I monitored anesthesia, for the first time, on a guinea pig and he was remarkably stable! Rabbits and guinea pigs freak me out under anesthesia because they're just not the easiest to deal with. My little guy went down easy, he handled surgery well, and his recovery was a little slow, but he was totally fine!
Preview Day was last Saturday. I participated for Surgery Club, in the hopes that we'd win $100! We didn't, but it was still a fun opportunity! I got to talk to a lot of prospective students and answer their questions about the school, applying, and basic lifestyles of a vet student at WesternU.
Tomorrow is the CVM Club Day, where all the CVM clubs are showcasing ourselves and hoping to attract new members. Surgery Club is going to be selling suture boards, as always. AAEP is selling our shirts, and I believe SC-VECCS is as well. I have a lot planned for Surgery Club this year, so I hope it pans out. We have two suturing events, one in November and one later in the year; a gastropexy/splenectomy wet lab; a scrub cap competition; and hopefully rescheduling our ultrasound wetlab that had to be cancelled last year.

4 comments:

  1. Can I ask you a few questions about Western University if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Are you a prospective student? :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah! I am thinking about it. Can I get your email address so that I can ask you some questions?:)

      Delete
    3. Sure! My school email is rwwilliams@westernu.edu.

      Delete