Sunday, September 7, 2014

Halfway through!

Alright, we're officially halfway through block one! And, just like any other vet student, I feel perpetually behind. That's life!
Dog sitting has been picking up, with me getting a client every weekend, so that's pretty good. I'm doing some odd jobs on the side to make money, which doesn't really add up to much but when you're living 100% on loans, that's all you can do! I've signed up with something called Swagbucks and I basically play videos in the background of my laptop and computer and get points. I'm getting a couple $5 Amazon gift cards a week this way. For anyone interested, this is my referral link: www.swagbucks.com/refer/rwwilliams You don't have to sign up under me, obviously, but I get a little kickback from it, which is nice :)

Rosie that I dog sat for

Gus!

Sadie and Lance

The last week, in my apartment, has been a little frustrating. Since I moved in, I've noticed a bit of an issue with taking a shower and having water kind of drip all over the floor... When my mum stayed with me, she said to be careful of pulling the shower curtain all the way closed to prevent that from happening. Well, Taylor stayed with me for awhile and said that he thought my apartment smelled funny and that it was Piper. I didn't notice the smell, and I've had Piper for a year, so I didn't think that was the case. After he left, I noticed that the bathroom mat was soaked and just disgusting. Problem solved! Taylor hadn't been pulling the shower curtain closed and now there was standing water that smelled bad. I cleaned it up and it seemed to get better -- by the time he left, I'd started to notice the smell. Well, it came back... Then the filter light on the AC came on. Oh! It's the filter. Easy, fixed, done. Smell went away.. and it came back. What the hell? So, I took a shower one night and noticed that the floor was absolutely flooded... So, I did a test. I turned the water on, pulled the curtain and sat outside and watched it. No water was escaping around the curtain. I left and came back later to find the bathroom flooded. Great. I called maintenance and they investigated to find out that there was a leak behind the shower knob. They said they'd have to patch it and change some of the wood because it was rotting. Okay, fine, they told me a few days. That's doable. A specialty company came in to evaluate for more damage and found out that all the drywall was damaged and basically ruined, so they have to tear apart my entire bathroom after putting dehumidifiers in there because they found mold!
As of now, I have a blow up mattress in another apartment, and I'm basically living in both apartments... They told me it'll take 2-3 weeks (I'm thinking it'll take longer), and they can't help me move any of my stuff so I'm just out of luck. So, that's frustrating and I wrote a really long email to management about how ridiculous that is. If they can't provide a fully functional apartment for that amount of time, they're violating the lease.
Other than that, I went to the LA County Fair on Friday, since WesternU students got in for free, and that was a lot of fun! We didn't realize we were supposed to print the coupon so we just showed up with our IDs... Luckily enough, the gate captain let us in because we said we were vet students! We ate delicious, disgusting fair food, did an olive oil tasting, and saw all the animals. Since starting vet school, I have a hard time seeing animals in captivity at zoos, aquariums, etc. Petting zoos and circuses are especially difficult. I overheard someone say the animals brought in were from Cal Poly, so I'd assume they're taken care of but I don't know how they don't become acidotic, I don't know how the rabbits don't get stressed and die, and I don't know how the horses don't colic.












A little bit more exciting: I got to monitor anesthesia on a guinea pig last week! They kind of freak me out because guinea pigs and rabbits just tend to die... Mine was great however! His name was Peanut and he came in for a castration. He recovered remarkably well, which made me happy!

Recovering my piggie

No comments:

Post a Comment