Friday, August 22, 2014

Two weeks in

I'm now two weeks into my second year of vet school, and I'm feeling pretty good! I'll be completely honest, I'm a little bit behind as far as course material goes but I planned for it and have made allowances. Taylor came and spent six days with me and I planned on doing what was basically the bare minimum while he was here, because I wanted to enjoy the time we had together. We actually figured out that, at least for fall semester, we won't go more than 4-5 weeks without seeing each other! It'll be nice to have a little consistency to our visiting schedule and it'll give me something to look forward to without looking too far ahead.
We started with our first week, learning about the elbow joint in dogs as well as diseases such as elbow dysplasia, hypertrophic osteodystrophy, and osteochondrosis. I definitely felt more comfortable in anatomy lab last year and was able to dissect our cadaver with more ease than before. It's crazy how far we've come in just one year!
Taylor showed up on the Saturday and we had a great weekend together. We went out for dinner with my friends... Taylor and I actually went out to eat a lot while he was here, but it was fun! We went to Back Abbey, In-n-Out, Sushi Martini... He came with Piper and I to the dog park, we cooked a nice dinner together while he was here... He even taught me to play League of Legends which was honestly more fun than I expected... it was such a nice visit and definitely what I needed to give me the motivation to get through this first block.

Hanging out by the pool

Tasty food and drinks at Bucca di Beppo

We're so cute

The whole gang!

Taylor left yesterday and it was sad -- it always is when I have to say goodbye to him. After dropping him at the airport, I had my equine physical exam test. It was pass or fail, which was somewhat comforting but I was so incredibly nervous about the exam. I feel like everyone here expects me to know tons about horses and that's just not the case. I rode them and owned them, and I love them but I really know very little about them medically. That being said, I passed which was a massive relief.
For this weekend, my goals include reviewing the information from last week (osteogenesis, osteophytosis, the various pathology and pharmacology topics discussed), as well as covering the major issues from this week (facial anatomy, ethmoidal hematomas, clotting cascade). I'll probably go hiking tomorrow morning, or do something somewhat active with Piper.

Being cute at Club Day with friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment