Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 8 is coming up!

So, the last week has definitely been pretty amazing. On Tuesday, the patient I saw on my rotation was scheduled to get spayed and since my partner and I finished our PE and got our bloodwork run first, we got to watch the surgery! As a bonus, I got to scrub in, feel the ovaries, talk to the surgeon about what he was doing and why and... I even got to suture the SQ layer to help close! Talk about an adrenaline rush! I was pretty nervous, and my hands were shaking at first, but I was happy that they steadied out and the doctor told me I did a good job at the end.
On Friday, I was invited to observe a necropsy. I thought I'd just be standing back and watching, but I actually got to do a lot of the cutting! I removed the liver, the kidneys, sectioned the pancreas, I got to cut through the hyoid bones, I got to cut through the heart... It was amazing! In addition to that, I got to section the different tissues and choose which slices to send out for histopath!
Yesterday, I went to observe an equine enucleation. As a first year, I didn't get to do much other than the PE, which the other first years and one of the doctors confirmed, but we don't get a ton of equine experience so it was nice to put my hands on a horse! The surgery was super cool, and I couldn't believe how basic it seemed. You basically suture the palpebral fissure closed, cut through all the muscles of the eye, and then clamp the optic nerve. Oh, and if you happen to pop the eye, no big deal since it's coming out anyway. The recovery was pretty intense, I guess the horse wasn't quite ready to get up and stumbled a few times but everyone helped get her up and she was walking around somewhat steadily not too long after. Very cool, and I'm really thankful that the owner okayed a bunch of students coming to watch and help.
Having Taylor here last weekend was really nice, and I can't wait to go home for spring break now.. It feels so close, but so far! We ended up going out to dinner with my friends one night, cooked dinner together the next, and then we went hiking on Saturday. Sunday was just a nice relaxing day. I did absolutely no studying that weekend, but I didn't feel all that guilty. I study a lot, and I rarely get to see my boyfriend so I think I deserved the break. It was our first Valentine's Day that we actually got to spend together, so that meant a lot to me. His present arrived in Gainesville yesterday (yeah, I'm never on time) but he's in Orlando so hopefully he'll see it today, and he'll like it. He got me this really pretty pair of earrings. I haven't had a chance to wear them yet. I'm pretty cautious about what I wear to school because you never know what you'll end up doing! Definitely glad I didn't have much jewelry on when I was invited to scrub in or help with the necropsy.



My beautiful new custom half chaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment