Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Week 6

I think we might finally be done with neuro for this block, whoo! Pretty sure the case this week is leading me to learn about the pancreas, pancreatic enzymes, as well as a little hematology when it comes to BUN, creatinine, glucose, amylase, alkaline phosphate, and alanine aminotransferase.
I've been doing a ton of review for the last few days, and I'm not really where I want to be but it sounds like I'm further along than my classmates, so that's not bad. I actually started going over histology last week, so I'm definitely hitting it earlier than I did the last two blocks (read: not a few days before the exam). Stephanie updated her parasitology game and we played that yesterday, and it definitely helped! I have a couple cling sheets up in my room, one for antimicrobial therapy and one for neuro in general. For the antimicrobials, I found that I was kind of missing whether they were time- or concentration-dependent and what organisms they were effective against, so I figured throwing it up on my wall would make it stick a little more. For neuro, I just wanted to throw up stuff that was straight memorization and not so much concepts. I'll probably end up adding a cling sheet for mnemonics later on too.

Neuro sheet



Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned but I'm now the president of surgery club, secretary of SC-AAEP, and fundraising coordinator for SVECCS. I'm so excited! I'm hoping to have a lot of stuff planned for next year.
Taylor is coming in a few days, so I'm super excited! I have to go pick him up from Ontario during my lunch break and I'm going to bring him straight back to school and he'll just have to hang out in my PBL room while I'm in class. I made an appointment with one of the anatomists to help me and a couple others out after MDC/BSL so I have to do that too, but then we're all going to get sushi!
Living situation has been interesting the last few days. My roommate and I had a discussion about who gets the master next year and I basically said I'd write her a check for $300, take over her monthly chores, and give her my shelf in the fridge and she said no without offering anything back... She actually ended up yelling at me for being so unreasonable, which was a bit of a shock. My other two roommates told me I have to consider her cat's quality of life, and essentially the cat deserves a bigger room than me and my dog, so that's... interesting. Not to mention, if the cat's quality of life is so bad, it should be back home in San Diego with its family anyway. I think the solution is going to be to rent that room out instead of either of us getting it.
Speaking of her cat, I've been finding cat poop around the house, and I'm pretty sure it's hers. Two people in the house have cats, but one of them has been gone for awhile, and I was finding poop in the house while he was gone. I noticed it a couple times and picked it up once or twice but left it when it was right by her door or something, so I know she's noticed it too. I've brought it up twice to her and she just got angry and yelled at me about how her cat doesn't do that. Well, I found cat poop under the table in the foyer this morning, and her door was open while the other cat's door was closed and my dog was in her crate the other night. My other roommate and I are thinking that maybe it's getting stuck to the cat's fur because her hair is longer -- if so, that's an easy fix! I just don't want to keep cleaning up cat poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment