Thursday, January 9, 2014

Starting block 3

Winter break was incredible but I'm definitely ready to get back to class! I ended up finishing the semester with all As and Bs which was definitely a great feeling. I managed to get a 90 on my MCB exam, which is the one I was really worried about so that was a huge relief.
The first weekend that I was home, I went to Ocala to show the horses and ended up doing fairly well, all things considered. I got a couple good ribbons on the boys and had a lot of fun. Christmas was fun, and my parents ended up getting me a new laptop which was perfect. My laptop was getting older, the battery wouldn't charge (even after replacements) and it had warned me a few times that I was facing impending hard drive failure. The new computer is much lighter, slimmer, and easier to use. It's amazing to have a computer that boots up as soon as you hit the power button! I didn't get to see Taylor for Christmas, which was sad but he did come home for my friend's debutante ball a few days later so we got all dressed up and went out, which was fun!

Piper, the horse show dog

Bruno's Christmas braid

All dressed up

He really does love me

Taylor being a good sport in the cold

The books I came home to

I ended up working quite a few hours while I was back home which was great. The doctors were all nice to work with, not that that's a change. I got to see a couple cool things like a gastrotomy, where the doctor removed a sock and clumps of hair. Then there was the one year old pitbull that had medial patellar luxation gd 4/4 and a CrCL tear as a result. One of the doctors went over the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of kcs (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) in a case we saw which was great, because the first thing we're learning this block is eyes!
New Years was fun, I watched Ocean's 12 with the family at home before I went out to a bar/club by my alma mater with some friends. I was able to ring in the New Year with Taylor, so it was nice that we got to do that much together.
Piper handled the trip really well, and loved everyone. She wasn't able to socialize with my dogs at home because they don't really like other dogs, so that was a shame. She adjusted well though, and I think she's all the more well-behaved as a result. Right now, she's sleeping at the foot of my bed which is something I couldn't get her to do before our trip home!
Like I said before, this first week is all about eyes. I've been reading a lot about how images are perceived, how vision works, and diseases like glaucoma, lens luxation, and uveitis. Eyes don't seem horrible so far, but I also haven't officially been back to school yet, so we'll see how it goes today!

Taking over the bed

No comments:

Post a Comment