Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thanksgiving on the horizon

Three weeks into the new block and feeling okay! Still not 100% on cows but I'm getting the hang of dog/cat/horse GI. Thanksgiving is only four weeks away and I absolutely can't wait to go home and also to not be the one cooking all the time!
Vet Games is this week, and I actually found some school spirit and participated in the three-legged race. We came second in our heat, which isn't too shabby! Students get points for wearing something relating to the theme of the day so on Monday I wore my 2017 wolf shirt that a classmate made for me and then Tuesday I slacked off because I didn't have tie-day. Yesterday I wore a shirt from undergrad, and today I'm wearing the official vet games shirt! The class of 2016 is a couple hundred points ahead of us, so we have to catch up!
I had to buy some surgical instruments for school: needle holders and forceps. There's a company here, HMC surgical, that has a student rep and says that we get 45% off of their instruments but they still seemed... pricey. I bought stainless steel Olsen-Hegars and Adson-Brown forceps, and it came to $40. A lot of people bought the tungsten carbide in several instruments, as well as buying suture scissors, bandage scissors, and other forceps but I wanted to do more research before I put down more money. I looked on Amazon today and there's a seller called Vet Med USA with pretty good reviews and they were selling TC Olsen-Hegars for $28... HMC sold them for $88. So, I ordered the ones online and I'll probably compare them to my roommate's that she bought from HMC. I plan on being a small animal surgeon so most places will supply instruments and I don't need to worry about having my own. Although, the nice thing about HMC is that they have a lifetime warranty!

No comments:

Post a Comment