Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Week two

So the second week of school has been pretty anticlimactic. I guess, for the first time ever, the faculty and staff decided that first years needed a second week of orientation (taking place after the first real week of school) to fill in any gaps or insecurities that we may not have thought of previously. I was kind of interested to see what it would pertain of, especially since WesternU is so student centred. I thought maybe the professors of each discipline would tell us what we should have taken away from each lecture and what we missed. Instead, it's been a lot of lectures on how to study anatomy, how to study histology, how to study pathology, etc. I think the pathology one helped me a little bit because I was honestly lost with pathology. I still don't really know what I'm expected to actually know in regards of testable material but I feel closer to knowing what I need to be pulling out of a textbook.
We're also having a bunch of sessions about time management, study skills, and basically getting to know ourselves as a person and how to interact with others in a group setting. This is all stuff that I feel like we've been doing since the first week of orientation.
I went to a seminar today by David Kersey, who's actually my facilitator this block as well as my advisor. For those that don't know, Dr. Kersey was involved in the recent twin panda birth in the U.S. (the first one since the late 80s!) It was pretty cool to hear him talk about his field and what he did and how he was responsible. He made it all sound so easy, which it definitely is not. Tomorrow is club day, so I'm going to check out a bunch of the clubs. I think I'm going to join shelter medicine, theriogenology, and surgery club. I'm still not sure about the others, but we'll see. I was thinking the zoo medicine club too, because they get to do a lot of hands on wet labs, kind of like the therio club. I'm not interested in therio or zoo medicine but I am interested in techniques like palpation, semen collection, and alligator handling!
Thursday is a talk by Dr. Tyler DACVIM, about IM relating to our case, so that should be interesting. Friday is a mandatory SCAVMA meeting which is ironic considering I never asked to join SCAVMA... I kind of wonder what the penalty would be if I didn't show up. Would they revoke my membership that I didn't ask them to pay for? We'll see.
I've been cooking a lot! I feel so homey. I made burgers, which I wrote about in my last post and am slowly making my way through. I made rice pudding the other night, and then I also made blueberry cake. I don't actually like blueberry cake so I may have shipped some off somewhere :)

No comments:

Post a Comment